If you follow me on instagram you know I absolutely love a smoothie bowl to start my day. The flavour of smoothie bowl changes almost everyday but I always make sure they’re packed with a bunch of nutrients to make me feel good all day long. I create a bunch of recipes for one of my favourite Australian brands Coconut Bowls which means THICK and most importantly delicious smoothies are being made a lot in my house, especially over the summer months. With that being said.. I thought I give you guys my top 5 tips to creating the perfect smoothie bowl!
- Frozen Fruit! The most important ingredient for thick smoothie bowls is frozen fruit that has been pre cut. When ever my bananas start getting overripe I chop them up and throw them in the freezer, they create a delicious creamy texture. I also love frozen mango, frozen berries and frozen pineapple.
- A high powered blender! This is the second most important component to a smoothie bowl. If you know you’re going to be making a lot of thick smoothies it’s definitely worth the purchase. They allow various speeds and settings as well as a tamper which helps push all of the ingredient down. Some of my favourite brands include.. Vitamix and Thermomix but you can always use a food processor as well.
- Don’t use ice! Seems like you would add ice to make the smoothie thicker but it almost has the opposite effect as the ice melts and goes watery.
- Don’t use much liquid! This also depends on the power of your blender but the less liquid the better. I recommend starting with less then adding more if needed.
- Patience! Sometimes it takes me more than 20 minutes to get everything blended together. If you cant get your base to blend you can always stop the blender, scrape down the sides and start again.
Have fun and enjoy